If you are currently employed within the South African travel industry and are a consultant on any level, or a Manager who continues to consult, you are eligible to register on the APP. If you fulfil any of the roles below, you should consider applying for the APP and in time your designation:
• Travel advisor
• Corporate or leisure consultant
• Independent travel consultant
• Reservations consultant
• Wholesale consultant
As a consultant, the system will guide you on how to compile your own professional portfolio of evidence, monitor your skills and competencies and ongoing professional development, with confirmation from your Employer, who will verify your profile.
The core range of skills required have been arranged in 5 Competency Clusters. The reference boxes give further explanation. You can also update these as you progress. Competency Clusters
• Operational Skills
• Destination Skills
• Service Skills
• Business Skills
• Computer Skills
• Provide you with a profile of competency levels in an industry-recognised format.
• Include Continuous Professional Development towards a designation, lifelong learning and maintaining your designation.
• Create awareness of training needs for each individual.
• Gain recognition from your company, peers and clients.
• Each individual’s unique profile will form part of the awarding of a designation as per the requirements related to SAQA and the Recognition of a Professional Body.
• Give those who have chosen a career of a professional consultant a clear way of measuring professional development and monitoring progress and career advancement.
• Distinguish yourself from others who do not have a designation.
• Recognition of the role of the travel consultant/ practitioner/ professional in providing services to the traveller, whether for corporate or leisure travel, in a professional and ethical manner.
• Professional staff providing excellent customer service is justification for charging fees.
• Setting of standards and a benchmark for talent and competent employees.
• Over time we can identify skills gaps from the APP system, which will assist in planning training initiatives, workshops with suppliers and training providers.
• Target specific areas for appropriate workshops for training purposes.
• Grow a talent pool and retain professional individuals.
• Draw statistical data based on levels of expertise, different demographics and identify emerging trends in our industry.
• Promote the travel industry as a career of choice for school leavers and the currently employed.
• Enhance and promote the travel industry as a professional service provider of competent individuals who offer advice, integrity and professionalism when dealing with the customer.
A participation Fee pertains to all registrations and applications for designations on the APP.
ASATA Members: R177-00
Non-ASATA Members: R298-00
ASATA Members: R345-00
Non-ASATA Members: R595-00